Pages

3.17.2006

Stardate 31706

Last night I saw a interesting show on the History channel.
HOW WILLIAM SHATNER CHANGED THE WORLD

This documentary studied how William Shatner's role as captain Kirk on "Star Trek" influenced geeks to create technologies we use every day. The sci-fi series from the 1960s inspired innovators to make it into a reality. The documentary features interviews with researchers inspired by "Star Trek" to create SETI, NASA, Ipods, personal computers, medical devices and theories in physics.

William Shatner said that most of the technological innovations behind the show was "MADE UP!" Gene Roddenberry and the writers used objects like salt shakers, balsa wood and blinky lights to make you dream about a 23rd century fantasy universe.

I would recommend this documentary to geeks or anyone wanting to know the history of the gadgets we use everyday.

Discover Channel website

Personal note:
When I was growing up I remember watching "Star Trek: Next Generation". It has influenced my attitudes about new technology.
As my baby grows I wonder if there will be a "program" to drive creativity/ innovation for this new generation

DIGITAL DAN
HOOKSHOW+DAN@GMAIL.COM

No comments: